2 cups bentonite (powdered can be purchased at most ceramic supply stores and some hardware stores, even)
2 quarts water
1/2 cup soap powder
Gradually add water to bentonite and mix well with beater. (A blender is preferred. If it is used start by filling the container half full of water and add bentonite gradually. Turn blender off for a few seconds to check the consistency. Let mixture stand in a crock or plastic container for two to three days- stirring well each day. DO NOT use a METAL container.
1. An extender, like bentonite reduces paint cost and gives the desired consistency. Also can be added to tempera to make fingerpaint.
2. Soap makes paint easier to wash out and helps it adhere to slick surfaces like glass and celophane.
3. Detergent keeps paint from cracking when the paint dries.
4. Alum is a preservative. Glycerine and oil of wintergreen (or clove) keep paint mixtures fresh.
5. Condensed milk gives paint a glossy finish.