- Old pantyhose or knee-high stockings (one pair will work for two children)
- Sawdust or peat moss mixed with some potting soil
- Grass seed (enough for each child to have a few tablespoons)
- a leak-proof saucer or bowl (one for each child)
- Felt pieces
- Glue or glue gun
What to do:
- Cut the feet off of the pantyhose or knee highs at about the ankles.
- Put a few tablespoons of grass seed in the toe and then fill the rest of the way with the sawdust/peat moss mixture leaving enough room to tie it in a knot.
- Knot it closed and then form the stocking into a rounded head shape with the knotted side down.
- Allow the children to decorate the "heads" with felt pieces for eyes and nose and peanuts for a mouth. If using a glue gun (recommended since it has a bit more staying power than regular glue) assist children in this process.
- Soak the "head" in water and put it in a window or other sunny area.
- Be sure to keep the heads moist, watering as necessary which could mean every day.
The grass will begin to grow out of the top making hair which the children can then leave or shape into hair styles with scissors, ribbons, etc.
Your Plant Person activity is a great activity for kids and learning for fun.
There are some great activities found on http://www.activityschoolbus.com
They really center on Preschool Themes and Prek Printables but there is alot of cool ideas for parents and teachers to use in teaching kids.
Enjoyed your blog!
Post a Comment